Kia ora and a warm welcome to Aotearoa New Zealand !

We have welcomed International Students from around the world for many years. Most have made lifelong new friends, experienced a new culture and lifestyle, learned some Maori, have visited much of our wonderful country and worked hard at school. We accept a  maximum of only 8 students each year, generally from students 15 years and older.

The Academic Year

Our academic year starts in February and finishes in December, at which date our summer holidays start.  The year is divided into four terms of about 10 weeks each.  In the New Zealand Rudolf Steiner School Class 10 (Year 11) students study a compulsory curriculum.  In Classes 11 (Year 12) and 12 (Year 13) pupils study a compulsory core curriculum and a range of specialist subject options.  During these last three years, students are offered the Christchurch Rudolf Steiner Schools Certificate and the National Certificate of Educational Achievement.

All correspondence with the school must be in English.

To make an application we require you to complete an “Application for Enrolment” form, see link below under 'Apply Now'.

The International Student Coordinator can also be contacted via email:


We will also require a copy of your most recent school report, together with a translation, a school reference (in English) and a copy of your birth and immunisation certificates. We also require an essay written by the student in the English language why you want to come to New Zealand and what your expectations are and what goals you have while at our school.

If any of the details you provide at the time of enrolment change, it is your responsibility to notify the school of the changes.


Documents for Download

International Student Information booklet - updated version here soon 

NCEA and Abitur

Study in New Zealand

Study in New-Zealand German Language

Study in New Zealand Chinese


English Language Proficiency Requirements

You must understand that your English will need to be of a standard that will make your time spent in New Zealand beneficial.  As a guideline, on the International Language Testing System (IELTS) a band 5 would be the minimum (1 being the lowest result possible and 9 being the best result possible).

If you are from Japan the language test is known as the TOEFL test.  A score of 450 on the TOEFL test is the minimum required. If you have an insufficient command of English you may be asked to attend a language school.

Immigration Requirements

To study in New Zealand you will need to enter the country with a student visa endorsement in your passport.  Application for a student visa has to be made through the local New Zealand Embassy/Consulate.  For this application you will need an ‘offer of placement’ form, which will be sent to you after we have decided to accept you as a pupil and payment of the international student fee has been received and receipted.

You will need medical insurance, which is valid in New Zealand, a valid return air ticket and to be able to satisfy immigration that you have sufficient funds available for the length of your visit.

NB: A student will not be allowed to attend school until we have sighted a valid student visa or certified copy of one.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand whilst studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Christchurch Rudolf Steiner School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education.  Copies of the Code are available on request from the school or from the Ministry of Education website.

A summary copy of the “Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students” is available to download here.

Conditions of Acceptance

We do not accept international students wishing to stay less than six months.  Acceptance will be based on your most recent school reports and the school reference you submit as part of your enrolment application.

To enrol at Christchurch Rudolf Steiner School international students must live in one of the following categories of accommodation;

1. Living with their parents, or

2. Living in homestay accommodation.

Parents/caregivers of the enrolling student must sign the school’s TUITION AGREEMENT contract on acceptance into the school.

Apply Now